Selected Clear All
- Research Type
- Research by Market
- Access Control & Fire (9)
- Consumer Electronics (24)
- Lighting (2)
- M2M, IoT & Connectivity (1)
- Mobile Devices (1)
- Mobile Innovation (1)
- Service Provider Broadband & Video (1)
- Smart Building & Building Automation (9)
- Smart Cities (4)
- Smart Home & Appliances (109)
- Transformative Technologies (5)
- Video Surveillance (7)
- Date Published
- Broadband Infrastructure Intelligence Service (7)
- Broadband Media Intelligence Service (10)
- Cellular IoT Intelligence Service (1)
- Channels & Programming Intelligence Service (1)
- Connected Devices Intelligence Service (122)
- Consumer Electronics Intelligence Service (78)
- Consumer Platforms & Ecosystems Intelligence Service (6)
- Consumer Research - Devices, Media & Usage Intelligence Service - Premium (106)
- COVID-19 (1)
- Entertainment & Video KPIs Intelligence Service (2)
- Games Intelligence Service (3)
- Games Intelligence Service - Premium (1)
- High Performance Wireless (formerly CMIT) Intelligence Service (3)
- Home Appliance Intelligence Service (7)
- Home Entertainment KPIs Intelligence Service (1)
- Home Networks Intelligence Service (4)
- Internet-Enabled Consumer Electronics Intelligence Service (9)
- Intruder Alarms & Monitoring Services Intelligence Service - Annual (1)
- IoT Devices Intelligence Service (2)
- Low Power Wireless Intelligence Service (2)
- Mobile Infrastructure Intelligence Service (1)
- Operator Multiplay Intelligence Service (2)
- Professional Video Intelligence Service (1)
- Set-Top Box Intelligence Service (53)
- Small Cells & Carrier WiFi Intelligence Service (1)
- Smart Home Intelligence Service (34)
- Smart Home Intelligence Service - Premium (32)
- Smartphone Intelligence Service (2)
- Smartphone Intelligence Service - Premium (2)
- Smartphones & Mobile Broadband Devices Intelligence Service (1)
- TV & Online Video Intelligence Service - Premium (1)
- TV Sets Intelligence Service (4)
- TV Sets Intelligence Service - Premium (5)
- Video Media Intelligence Service (2)
- Video Processing Intelligence Service (5)
- Video Surveillance & Analytics Intelligence Service - Annual (1)
- Video Surveillance & Analytics Intelligence Service - Annual - Premium (1)
- Video UX Technology Intelligence Service (9)
- Wearable Technology Intelligence Service (1)
- Wearable Technology Intelligence Service for Bluetooth SIG - Dec 2014 - Extract (1)
- Wireless IoT Connectivity Intelligence Service (3)
Despite COVID-19 smart speaker market expands during 1Q20April 09, 2020According to Omdia’s latest smart speaker tracker, the North American smart speaker market increased by about 6 percent during 1Q20 compared with 1Q19.
Surging demand for consumer security cameras and video doorbells spurs new competition, challenging market leaders Nest and ArloMarch 03, 2020The global market for do-it-yourself (DIY) standalone network security cameras is forecasted to surge by 80 percent by 2024—a rapid pace of growth that is attracting new competitors.
Asia surpasses North America to become world’s largest smart speaker marketFebruary 24, 2020Globally, more than 100 million smart speakers were shipped in 2019, up about 41 percent from 72 million in 2018. Shipments are expected to increase by an additional 36 percent in 2020.
Amazon, Apple, Google Announce Joint EffortDecember 18, 2019Amazon, Apple, Google, and the Zigbee Alliance today announced a new working group that plans to develop and promote the adoption of a new, royalty-free connectivity standard to increase compatibility among smart home products, with security as a fundamental design tenet (Project Connected Home over IP).
Lack of a ‘Killer App’ not to blame for smart home woesDecember 06, 2019Over the past few weeks, there have been several blogs and press releases offering opinions on the smart home market. The primary takeaway from these articles is that the smart home is beginning to reach saturation in North America and that many manufacturers actually lack the marketing and creativity prowess to push the smart home, over the hump, to the masses.Subscribers Only
New smart home strategies to push market revenue above $192 billion in 2023September 03, 2019The fastest-growing device types in the market include lighting, smart speakers and connected major home appliances. The United States led all countries in 2018, representing about 35 percent of global market revenue. China was second, accounting for an 18 percent share.
Google Ending 'Works with Nest'May 09, 2019On Tuesday, May 7th, Google announced it will end its ‘Works with Nest’ program on August 31st, 2019.Subscribers Only
Amazon Acquires Eero - Smart Home ImpactFebruary 12, 2019Amazon and eero announced on February 11th, 2019, that they have entered into a definitive merger agreement under which Amazon will acquire eero. eero’s home mesh WiFi systems set up in minutes and blanket every room of a customer’s home in high-performing, reliable WiFi.Subscribers Only
With Asia on the rise, global smart speaker revenue reached $7.9 billion in 2018February 06, 2019Smart speakers and digital assistants catapulted consumer home automation from the fringe to the mainstream. Now regions outside of North America are looking to reap the benefits of voice technology.
Smart home and appliances tackle analytics at CES 2019January 17, 2019At CES 2019, there was no shortage of exciting news and buzz for smart home and appliances. Lighting, security cameras, software integrations and voice assistants took center stage in smart home announcements, while for appliances, the big news was on displays, artificial intelligence (AI) and guided cooking.
Global smart home device revenues to reach $28 billion in 2018October 18, 2018Although still a bourgeoning market, the smart home is no longer just for hobbyists or techies, and device manufacturers and service providers are looking to take these technologies to the masses. They will accomplish this by focusing on what customers know and understand, which includes video cameras, smart speakers, thermostats and home gateways
Smart speakers: Come one, come allOctober 12, 2018With Facebook’s recent release of Portal+, its first smart speaker/display, and with Google’s debut of Home Hub, its first native smart speaker/display, the upcoming holiday season in the United States could be a bellwether for the future of smart speaker form factors.
Apple Watch 4 Impact on PERSSeptember 14, 2018The announcement from Apple could have an impact on the personal emergency response system (PERS) market for more tech-savvy seniors.Subscribers Only
Samsung Galaxy Home: Compelling, but LateAugust 16, 2018As a result of a late start, it will be difficult for Samsung to compete with Amazon and Google in the short term.Subscribers Only
Amazon Fire TV Cube: The latest in the wave of TV-connected smart speakers, and an incremental step toward the voice-based connected home of the futureJune 08, 2018Amazon announced its newest member of the Echo smart speaker line on June 7, the Fire TV Cube. Combining Echo smart speaker functionality, a new 8-mic far-field voice recognition array and the features of the company's Fire TV streaming video devices, the $119 Fire TV Cube will be available June 21.
Sonos' New Beam Soundbar: Part of the New Smart Soundbar Category - And a Glimpse Into the Full Voice-Controlled TV ExperienceJune 07, 2018On June 6th, Sonos launched its new $399 Beam soundbar, a combination Sonos connected speaker, assistant-agnostic smart speaker, and home theater soundbar. Though the device is a logical progression from the company's existing line of connected speakers, high end TV-centric solutions (Playbar and Playbase), and Sonos One agnostic smart speaker, it represents a significant point in the market's progression towards voice-driven interfaces as the interconnect across home media consumption.
The State of Smart Speakers and Digital Assistants, Post-CES and MWC 2018February 27, 2018The 2018 CES tradeshow was dominated by common themes revolving around AI, such as machine learning, voice interfaces, and digital assistants. Building upon the AI-first focus of CES, Apple’s HomePod launch, and Google’s increased aggression in language support for Google Assistant just announced at Mobile World Congress 2018, competition within the market for smart speakers and related digital assistants has now truly begun escalating sharply. IHS Markit expects annual shipments of smart speakers to grow steadily from 32 million units in 2017 to 47 million in 2018, reaching 85 million in 2021. This is only a fraction of the more than 5 billion consumer devices supporting digital assistants in use by the end of 2018, with nearly 3 billion more added by the end of 2021.Subscribers Only
Amazon Ramps Up Competition in the Smart Speaker Market with New Echo Lineup, Pricing, and Form Factors – Creating an Increasingly Difficult Picture for Apple’s Siri, HomePod, and HomeKitOctober 05, 2017Amazon recently announced a number of Alexa-related developments and products, only a few short weeks after the IFA 2017 tradeshow and a week prior to Google’s October 4th product announcement event. Most notably, a variety of new Echo products were announced.Subscribers Only
Google's New Home Mini & Max Deepen Battle with Amazon at Both Ends of the Smart Speaker Market; Apple's HomePod Faces Increasingly-challenging LaunchOctober 05, 2017Google’s Pixel 2 smartphone launch event brought the announcement of two new smart speakers. The first, is the $49 Google Home Mini, featuring a small, rounded, design-neutral form factor, and three color choices. The device incorporates far-field voice recognition, and inherits the same slate of Google Assistant, Chromecast Built-in, and calling capabilities as its larger Google Home stablemate.Subscribers Only
Apple Announces the HomePod: Will Apple's Bet on the Market's Most Expensive Smart Speaker Pay Off?June 05, 2017Apple announced its HomePod smart speaker at WWDC 2017, marking its entry into that market as well as its formal manifestation of the concept of an all-Siri voice-controlled smart home in the future. With a 4-inch driver, a beamforming-capable 7-tweeter array, 6-microphone far field voice recognition array, acoustic modeling, multi-channel echo cancellation (useful for calling features undoubtedly to come), software-based distortion reduction, and automatic room adjustments thanks to its microphones, HomePod is thus far the most sophisticated audio product in the smart speaker race. HomePod is slated for December 2017 release in the US, UK, and Australia, at $349 USD.