This report examines the challenges associated with managing latency on IP video streams. The discussion focuses on the goals and requirements of live streaming; the challenges and considerations; the solutions, architectures, and technologies available to achieve these goals and mitigate the problems; and the vendor offerings available.
- What are realistic expectations for latency?
- How do contribution, encoding, CDN distribution and player side technologies combine in a solution to minimise latency?
- Which latency solutions scale the best? Which solutions are the most cost effective? Which solutions maintain quality?
- Which architecture is best for a given live streaming scenario?
- Which vendors are best positioned to meet the demands of live streaming?