The Cinema Market Report Series -China provides regular and in-depth analysis of the cinema industry in China. It covers the latest market trends and a wide topic of market features.
This report also includes detailed data of the general market including box office, admissions, screens numbers, and the latest technology innovation such as 3D, PLF and Laser projector. A wide topic also included in the report from tier system, online ticketing to imported films.
This is a bi-annual market report, and these slides are aimed at giving subscribers of Cinema Intelligence easy access to the latest data and our thoughts on key trends.
- Box office revenue in China reached a new high in 2019, although a lower growth rate compared to the previous year
- Cinema admissions stayed flat with a 0.6% increase
- Screen growth was still dynamic and total screen reached 69,787 in 2019
- Tiers 3, 4, and 5 cities gain more weight in box office, driven by screen growth
- Nearly 86% of the cinema tickets were purchased online from a third party
- The top 10 cinema investors account for one third of the total box office
- Imported films continue to increase in number, but their market share in 2019 was the lowest in the past five years
- Cinemas in China are in favour of new and premium technologies
- The screen density and admissions per head in China indicate room for growth
- 2020 will be a tough year due to the impact of COVID-19.