Since rolling out worldwide in 2016, Amazon and Netflix have stepped up original production, both in the US and key international territories. Netflix original production has skyrocketed from a single title in 2012 to 324 in 2017. While Amazon originated 402 hours last year, this was still more than any US cable network bar HBO. IHS Markit has analysed the streaming platforms' original production and assesses what it means for the global entertainment business.
- Netflix launched 1,257 hours or original content in 2017, well ahead of Amazon's 285 hours
- Netflix international subscriptions outstripped the US in 2017, with 57.8 million at year end
- Amazon is, however, ahead of Netflix in some markets including Germany, India and Japan
- Netflix has or is planning to produce original content in 28 countries outside the US
- Japan is the leading source of origination, with 32 titles, followed by Mexico (30 titles) the UK, France and Canada (25 each)
- We estimate that international origination accounted for 40% of Amazon's total last year, compared to 32% for Netflix
List of tables and charts:
- Original production by Amazon and Netflix
- Original production (hours) by Amazon by origin
- Original production (hours) by Netflix by origin
- Amazon original production by type (hours)
- Netflix original production by type (hours)
- Amazon non-US original productions (number of titles), by country
- Netflix non-US original productions (number of titles), by country
- Amazon and Netflix original productions in Japan (hours)
- Amazon and Netflix original productions in India (hours)
- Amazon and Netflix original productions in France (hours)
- Amazon and Netflix original productions in Germany (hours)
Number of Pages: 15
Number of Tables and Charts: 11
Senior Research Analyst, Service Providers & Platforms
Laura Aguilera tracks the home entertainment market.
Director, Research and Analysis, Programming
Tim Westcott is a director of research and analysis for Programming at Omdia.
Associate Director, Service Providers & Platforms
Mr. Constantinos Papavassiliopoulos, associate director at IHS Markit, is responsible for covering TV and online video market developments.
Senior Research Analyst, Advertising and Television Media
Kia Ling Teoh is a senior research analyst, Advertising & Television Media at Omdia.
Research Analyst, Media & Entertainment
Max Signorelli is a research analyst for the Media & Entertainment team at Omdia.
Senior Research Analyst, Channels & Programming
Aled Evans is a senior research analyst who covers television, sVOD channels, and programming across international markets.