IHS Markit expects the market (including advertising and subscription) to reach 36.4 billion rupees ($558.2 million) in terms of revenue in 2018, with year-over-year growth of 50%. The online video market in India has significantly expanded since 2015, with CAGR of 58% between 2015 and 2018 in terms of revenue. The significant growth of the market is also testified by multiple number of service launches after 2015. The entrance of international and regional players including Netflix, Amazon, Hooq and Viu have stirred up competition in the market.


IHS Markit expects the total online video market to reach $558.2 million in 2018, with 50% year-over-year growth. The market is forecasted to grow fast and reach $1.9 billion in 2022, with a CAGR of 36% in 2018-2022.

Despite having the fastest smartphone penetration growth in the world in 2017, India still has a lot to catch up with other countries in the region.

The Indian online video market derives its revenues predominantly from advertising which comprise 80% of total revenues in 2017 while subscription filled in the remaining 20%.

In this report:

  • List of drivers and challenges of online video market
  • India: advertising online video market
  • India: subscription online video market
  • Key companies in Indian online video market and their online video intiatives
  • Market outlook

Constantinos Papavassilopoulos

Associate Director, Service Providers & Platforms

Mr. Constantinos Papavassiliopoulos, associate director at IHS Markit, is responsible for covering TV and online video market developments.

Kia Ling Teoh

Senior Research Analyst, Advertising and Television Media

Kia Ling Teoh is a senior research analyst, Advertising & Television Media at Omdia.

Jun Wen Woo

Senior Research Analyst, Online Video

Jun Wen Woo is a senior research analyst for Online Video at Omdia.

Share facebook Twitter Google Plus Linked In Add This Contact Us