AI-integrated services, international content expansion, and domestic dominance drive Kakao’s strategy

January 24, 2018  | Subscribers Only

Jun Wen Woo Jun Wen Woo Senior Research Analyst, Online Video
Need more Information?

Launched in March 2010, the total monthly active users of South Korean most popular messaging app KakaoTalk has remained stagnant since 2013, but at over 40m this equates to around 80% of South Korea’s population. The number of international users has struggled for growth counting for 15% of total users in Q3 2016 and 14% in Q3 2017. The share of international users peaked in Q4 2013 at 29% of total users and the growth has been negative after that.   


  • Analysis of Kakao strategy

In this report:

  • Background of Kakao
  • Kakao: Funding and M&A activity
  • Kakao AI platform
  • Kakao content business
  • Kakao Outlook

List of tables and charts:

  • KakaoTalk: monthly active users (m)
  • Kakao: select funding received by Kakao subsidiaries
  • Kakao: M&A activity
  • Kakao: revenue by category (KRWbn)
  • Kakao advertising revenue by category (KRWbn)
  • Select Kakao AI partnerships
  • Kakao: content revenue by category (KRWbn)

Number of Pages: 8

Number of Tables and Charts: 7

Jun Wen Woo

Senior Research Analyst, Online Video

Jun Wen Woo is a senior research analyst for Online Video at Omdia.

South Korea
Research by Market
Mobile & Telecom
Share facebook Twitter Google Plus Linked In Add This Contact Us