CES 2018 continues the trend of low-key handset announcements. The latest flagship devices from OEMs like Samsung, Huawei, LG and others are not scheduled to be released until Mobile World Congress at the end of February, if not later. At CES, then, we see a host of announcements for price ranges below the premium tier.
IHS Markit identified five key mobile hardware themes at CES 2018:
1. Dual front smartphone camera for 'selfie' portraits from global OEMs
2. Return of mobile hardware keyboard
3. Extensive Google marketing spend to promote Google Assistant
4. Wearable cameras
5. Diverse mobile augmented reality (AR) headsets
List of tables and charts:
- Domestic and export: Huawei, OPPO, Vivo and Xiaomi
- Alcatel portfolio at CES 2018
- Motorola Moto Z shipments
- Smartphone shipments of HTC, LG and Sony
Number of Pages: 29
Number of Tables and Charts: 4
Principal Analyst, Mobile Devices & Networks
Wayne Lam is principal analyst within the wireless communications team and is responsible for research related to the market tracking, forecast and supply chain analysis of mobilized devices.
Senior Analyst, Smartphones
Gerrit Schneemann has followed the global handset market for more than a decade, as part of the Omdia team covering smartphones.