For the fourth quarter of 2016, the overall handset market has finally rebounded after declining for three consecutive quarters: total shipments grew 5.1% year on year to 513.6m. The smartphone shipments stood at 405.6m, 10.1% up from the previous year.
- Apple shipments have exceeded Samsung for the first time since 2012: it shipped 78.4m smartphones while Samsung shipped 76.5m units.
- Apple’s iPhone ASP increased to USD 659, indicating the larger screen and more expensive Plus models are gaining popularity.
- In Q4 Samsung shipped 90m handsets, 76.5m of which were smartphones, a 7% decrease year on year. However IHS believes Samsung's Q4 performance was acceptable in light of the unprecedented Note 7 recall.
- OPPO and Vivo, the two rising stars of 2016, continued their momentum: both saw explosive growths of over 100% this quarter. For the first time, the two sister OEMs have both surpassed Huawei in the domestic market of China.
- Huawei retained the third spot in terms of market share thanks to its global business. For the first time, Huawei shipped more smartphones to overseas market than China.
- Android OEMs, LG, Sony and HTC, continued their slides. LG was in a slight better position than the other two: its shipments shrunk 7.8% year on year, but it was 32.9% and 44.4% decline for Sony and HTC respectively.
- Xiaomi's growth halted in 2016: its shipments fell for three quarters in a row.
- Majority of the smartphones launched in Q4 2016 came with Android 6 (Marshmallow) as the pre-installed operating system version.
List of tables and charts:
- Handset revenue by OEM
- Smartphone percentage of shipments
- Apple quarterly smartphone shipments and market share
- iPhone's share of Apple total revenue
- Share of iPhone 6 and 6s models in China - Active Installed Base - Oct 2016
- IP rating in Japan - Active Installed Base
- Apple company revenue by region: year on year growth
- Samsung quarterly handset shipment
- Samsung market share
- Samsung IM division profitability
- Share of branded Chinese smartphone shipments
- Collective smartphone market share of major Chinese OEMs
- Domestic and export: Huawei, OPPO and Vivo
- Smartphone shipments of major Chinese OEMs
- Smartphone shipments of ZTE, TCL-Alcatel and Lenovo
- Xiaomi quarterly smartphone shipments and market share
- LeEco quarterly smartphone shipments
- Launch timeline: Google Pixel and Nexus phones
- Number of launched devices per quarter
- Number of brands launching handsets
- Android OS version at launch
- Share of Chip makers, based on launched devices
Number of Pages: 20
Number of Tables and Charts: 22