The health of the global cinema-going industry looks positive in 2016 from territories that have reported so far with total admissions increasing by 6.0% to reach 3.4 billion, based on the 39 territories that have results available in the IHS Markit Cinema Intelligence service. Despite the admissions growth, currency issues have led to an annual decline in box office for these 39 countries of 3.4% over last year.
The regional picture is mixed (where data is available): Central and Eastern Europe and Latin America have displayed substantial growth, however the latter has been largely affected by currency issues; Western Europe suffered an overall loss; for Asia, the slowdown in Chinese box office will bring down the overall results.
- Total admissions up 6% in 2016 based on the 39 territories
- Currency issue leads to an annual decline of 3.4% in box office
In this report:
- 2016 box office, 2016 admissions
List of tables and charts:
- Cinema admissions
- Cinema box office revenue in $
- Cinema box office revenue in local currency values
Number of pages: 2
Number of tables and charts: 3