IHS Inc. (NYSE: IHS) today released excerpts from its new Telecom API Platforms report, which tracks the market for API (application program interface) platforms that enable operators to securely expose network and IT assets as building blocks for new services and applications. The report also discusses operators’ API strategies and use cases, regional trends and the API platform ecosystem.
“API platforms represent a valuable tool for operators as they look to deliver more innovative services and create dynamic partner and third-party ecosystems,” said Shira Levine, research director and service enablement and subscriber intelligence at IHS.
“Operators are implementing API platforms to expose a range of network and IT assets such as call control, location, messaging, provisioning and subscriber information to their own internal developers and to external developers. We expect these investments to drive the global market for telecom API platforms and related services to $1.2 billion in 2020, up from $702 million in 2015,” Levine said.
TELECOM API PLATFORM MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- The early days of telecom APIs focused on providing APIs to enable a 3rd-party developer ecosystem, but as operators’ strategies have become more sophisticated, they have focused more on working with internal developers and partners
- Operators in North America, Europe and developed Asia were early adopters of API strategies, and they continue to focus on use cases optimized for enterprises and IoT such as identity management and authentication
- Meanwhile, growth in emerging markets in the Middle East, Africa and Asia is being driven more by the consumer opportunity, including digital payments and online commerce
- The market for API platforms is largely dominated by traditional network equipment and IT providers with entrenched positions within the operators, such as Oracle, Ericsson, Huawei, HPE and IBM
- However, IHS believes that as operator networks evolve, there will be openings for enterprise API management suppliers such as Apigee and CA to target the telecom opportunity
- As legacy telco mindsets are the primary barrier to growth in the API platform market, suppliers must shepherd operators through the process of rethinking their approach to service creation and delivery and strategies for digital services
For more information about the report, contact the sales department at IHS in the Americas at +1 844 301 7334 or [email protected]; in Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) at +44 1344 328 300 or [email protected]; or Asia Pacific (APAC) at +604 291 3600 or [email protected].