LTE broadcast has garnered interest from operators and vendors alike in 2014. 19 operators in 13 countries have already trialled it, with 1 operator already operating a service. Applications range from content streaming to digital signage, but most trials focused on high quality live video delivery. LTE Broadcast requires little additional infrastructure, and can be deployed relatively quickly over existing LTE coverage. Operators can act quickly, and could offer LTE broadcast enabled video services to differentiate themselves from their competition. This report looks at why LTE broadcast is different from MBMS, and how operators are approaching this opportunity.
- 19 operators in 13 countries have trialled LTE broadcast, with 1 commercial deployment in South Korea. Most deployments trialled at sporting events.
- LTE broadcast applications are not limited to mobile video. Terrestial TV replacement has been trialled and usage of small cells for digital signage has potential.
- LTE broadcast is not the standalone solution for operators. For masses of users accessing the same content LTE broadcast is a good solution, but other network upgrades will be required to deal with growing data demands.
- LTE Broadcast is not a panacea for operators' network capacity issues. For masses of users accessing the same content LTE Broadcast is a good solution, but other network upgrades will be required to deal with growing data demands.
In this report:
- Understanding LTE Broadcast
- This time will be different for mobile broadcast
- Regulatory and device support remain barriers to LTE Broadcast
- Operators gain multiple benefits from LTE Broadcast
- Case studies demonstrate different operator approaches
- LTE Broadcast opens opportunities for content providers and operators
- The broadcast and net neutrality regulation challenge
- Most alternatives to LTE Broadcast are really complementary
- Recommendations for the LTE Broadcast operators
List of tables and charts:
- Bandwidth required per 720p stream
- Evolution of flagship smartphone model screen sizes
- Smartphone launches by screen resolution
- BBC iPlayer requests by device
- ITV Viewing patterns by device
- BBC iPlayer requests
- Netflix users (excl. dvd/bluray) (m)
- Table: LTE broadcast trials/deployments
- Verizon 4G subscriptions (m)
- EE 4G subscriptions (m)
- KT 4G subscriptions (m)
- Table: Alternatives to LTE broadcast