This report is part of a series of IHS Technology insight reports based data presented in the IHS Technology Transactional Movie Market Monitor. Each report examines one of the four movie distribution platforms (theatrical, physical, TV-based VOD & digital) from a geographical perspective to further explore regional contributions and major trends driving worldwide consumption for transactional movies.
- Theatrical will increasingly become the most dominant transactional movie platform – forecast to increase its share from 54% of total worldwide movie transactions in 2013 to 61% by 2017.
- Decline for the worldwide total in cinema visits between 2009 and 2013 was the result of structural changes in India - the world’s largest theatrical market by consumption.
- China will account for 70% of new cinema visits generated in 2014. The worldwide total for theatrical transactions is forecast to reach 6.7bn in 2017, by when China is forecast to account for 38% of new transactions.
- The construction of new multiplex or modern screens in markets such as China and Russia are driving both transactional growth and increases in consumer spending on theatrical movies on a worldwide scale.
In This Report
- Provides analysis on the total worldwide consumption of theatrical movies.
- Outlines specific markets making an impact on the worldwide total for movies consumed in the cinema.
- Provides analysis on the current drivers of growth in non-mature movie markets.
Number of pages: 7
Number of tables: 7