IHS Technology is partnering with app industry analytics specialists App Annie to produce a report analysing trends in the digital games, movies, music, and apps industries globally and in seven key countries: USA, UK, Japan, South Korea, Japan, Russia, France and Germany.
Overall digital games, movies, and app spend was up 30% in 2013 reaching $57bn globally. Online music is also an important part of the digital content market, particularly in countries such as the UK.
Game apps are driving growth in the overall digital content market with spend reaching $16bn in 2013. The digital games market is the largest section of the digital content market worth $34bn excluding apps, with game apps leading growth. Online movies, a more mature market than apps, saw spend grow a healthy 21% in 2013.
Consumers in the USA and UK spend on a broad range of content; game apps are growing rapidly in mobile-first Japan and leading digital games market South Korea; Germany leads France in digital content spend per capita; Russia provides opportunities for growth in content spend and other content business models.
The IHS & App Annie Digital Content report provides detailed analysis and insights into:
- How apps are helping drive revenue and audience opportunities across different categories of digital content
- Global and country level growth trends for online movies, online music, digital games and mobile apps
- Which are the leading countries for digital content spend?
- Where are mobile apps doing best?
- Understanding how connected devices drive consumer digital content consumption
- Analyzing the impact of apps on the online movies and music industries
- The opportunities that apps provide for content companies to build audiences, not just revenues
- The challenges apps present to the wider digital games market
Key countries covered include: USA, UK, Japan, South Korea, Russia, France, Germany